Monday, March 29, 2010

Simple Tomatillo Onion curry

This recipe is purely mine :) but inspired by my mom's methods. Whenever i went grocery shopping, I always wondered what these Tomatillo's are, i thought they were some variety of green tomatoes, but no they belong to the gooseberry family, gooseberry's hmmm my mouth watered this also reminded me that my Dad always said his grandma made the best green tomato curry, nobody in my family has the recipe...with all these going on in my head, i finally bought some Tomatillo's...but let me tell you they are very tart..
but me and my husband loved the curry..may be one day try to make a chutney of it




Ingredients

Onions - 3 large chopped/sliced thinly
Tomatillo - 2-3 Medium sized(as big as a lime/lemon)
Green chilles - 2-4 (or according to your heat level)
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp(or according to your heat level)
Dhania Powder - 1 tsp(or according to your heat level)
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
oil - 2-3 tbsps
Jeera(cumin) - 1/2 tsp
Rai(Musturd) - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste




Preparation

Heat oil in a kadai/pot
Add Jeera(cumin) and rai
Add Green chilles
Now add the onion, add some salt and cook for 4-5 mins
Now add the chopped Tomatillo's, Red chilli powder, Dhania Powder, turmeric and cook covered
adjust salt to taste

Enjoy the Tomatillo Onion curry with roti/bread
can act as a very good reliesh on subs/wraps/burgers


Recipe By: Brinda
Posted By: Brinda

No comments:

Post a Comment